Ireland's Home & Garden Search Engine

Seller Signup...

Quality Service, Seller or Tradesperson? Sign Up Now!

Home & Garden Articles

Can Your Gaslogs Be Making You Sick?

Sun 07 Jan 2007 - 17:12

Can Your Gaslogs Be Making You Sick?
By Joe Honea

Over the last few years, all across America, there has been an explosion (pardon the pun) of gas logs in homes. Gas logs and very convenient. If you have a dinner appointment, you can simply turn the gas logs off, and leave for your dinner engagement. If you are using real wood in the fireplace, it isn't as easy. It isn't a good idea to leave your home if you have a fire in the fireplace. It really puts a damper on a wonderful evening out, to return home to find a big red fire truck in your front yard. I am a Chimney Sweep in the upstate of South Carolina, and I have seen and heard about everything you can imagine.

Like I said, gas logs are very convenient. If you have a power outage, they are a great source of back-up heat. But, if they are not installed correctly, or serviced like they should, they can be a pain in the nose. Your sinuses are the first to let you know if you have a problem. According to the National Fire Protection Association, your chimney should be cleaned, or serviced yearly. This includes furnaces, and gas logs.

When you first bought your new car, everything was fine when you cranked the engine to drive to work in the morning but, as the car got some age over a few years it started to smoke when it was first cranked. Gas logs are the same way. They need attention just like your car. If you start to see sooting on top of the logs, or find soot on the mantel, or worse yet on your hankie when you blow your nose... you have a problem. If left un-corrected, the sooting can get worse, and you will be painting the interior of your home.

Health wise, gas logs that are not serviced, can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, and/or severe migraine headaches. Make sure that when you are burning vented gas logs, you have your damper open the to fully open position. Un-vented gas logs do not require you to leave the damper open but, I always tell my customers to leave it on the first notch(or about an inch) open, so that in the event of a problem, it can vent out of the living area.

Joe Honea is the owner of The Chimney Sweeps Inc. for over 25 years. Married to an Italian girl, he has three sons, two who are serving in the military, and one that works in automotive collision repair. They also have two wonderful German Shepherd pups. Just recently opened an online store

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Joe_Honea

Looking for information on Plumbing & Heating, Find a supplier at HomeWise.ie

back to "Gas" search results
back to all home & garden articles