HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
Water Mark on Ceiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Plumbing, Heating & Bathrooms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shellr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Water Mark on Ceiling Reply with quote

I've recently noticed a water stain on our sitting room ceiling. It's exactly where our shower (from our en-suit) is. It's started a crack along the ceiling... and is scarey! Shocked
Can anyone advice me what to do... who should I contact to get it checked out?
I'm afraid the ceiling will come in on top of me, and even more afraid to take a shower, for fear I make things worse! Confused
dan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: We had the same problem Reply with quote

A month after we move to our new house we discover a mark on a ceiling in a dining room if we took a shower longer than 20min. Once we discovered it we realised that the previous owner was trying to sort the problem by taking the part of the plaster from the ceiling down but obviously without the result. So we decided to approach the problem from a different side. We took everything out from en suite. We removed all the tiles (floor and wall). We had actually discovered two wall tile levels in a shower cubicle so at the end we had to take the plaster behind the shower cubicle down. And of course that we discovered what was the problem. The shower screen was not fitted and sealed properly. We found parts of the stud partitions close to the floor rotten and a few floor boards below were rotten as well. At the end we ended up with replacing the rotten wood and refurbishing the en suite. However we didn't have any cracks in the ceiling but I heard that if you don't sort the problem quickly that the ceiling could come down. The first thing is to stop using the shower in en suite.
shellr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good God... Confused
I rang a plumber earlier and stressed how urgent it was, so he's calling tomorrow morning. I hope we don't have to pull everything apart like you guys did. It doesn't look too good though!
However, I did hear that you could claim on your home insurance, so if things do get too expensive, then at least we'll get some relief from it, please God!
coxy123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a very similiar problem at the moment. Ended up cutting a hole in the ceiling and replacing a waste pipe connector. If I run water into shower tray for a few minutes it does not leak but after a while in shower it appears to leak again. Will have to get plumber in. How did you get on with your plumber when he called around?? Tks.
shellr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]How did you get on with your plumber when he called around?
Quote:

Not as bad as I had thought, thank God. We only had to replace the last row of tiles, around the shower. So nothing major.
coxy123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. I have inspected the tilling and from what I can see cannot see any cracks on the tiles at all. How did you discover that it was the last row of tiles that was at fault. Did the plumber identify the problem or pass it on as non-plumbing related. It sures sounds a similiar sounding issue to my story..Any other tips would be welcome.Tks. for the quick reponse btw.
shellr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a plumber in for a look at it. He thought he'd have to take up the shower basin, after I explained the problem to him, but thankfully, didn't!
It was him that discovered the leak in the last row of the tiles, and didn't charge us a penny!! Wink
coxy123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks. for the advice. Hopefully mine will be the somewhat similiar. Smile
mullynavarnouge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Shower/Bath leaks. Reply with quote

Hi,

In a case like this you should remove the shower tray and reinstall it using a self-adhesive rubber strip that fits up behind the tiles and acts as a flexible upstand that will allow for movement of the shower tray.

Try Classi Seal which can be found in most plumbing and building merchants. http://www.classic-marble.com/classiseal.htm

Regards,

KF
amcc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done this many times in a hotel a good silicone mould resistant sealant like evostick and regrout the wall completly cracks and all should sort it out dut its only a matter of time before it happens again my suggestion is get a new en suite
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Plumbing, Heating & Bathrooms All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: