HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
Door from Innie to outie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Carpentry, Kitchens & Furniture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Door from Innie to outie Reply with quote

The door in my utility room opens in to the utility room. In order to fit in all the appliance i want i need to change the direction the door opens in. is this an easy job for someone to do themselves??
palatine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll presumably need to change the frame to faciliate opening out rather than in. I'd be inclined to leave it in the capable hands of a good chippie myself.
creatingyourdream

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, what's involved is cutting out spaces for the hinges on the other side of the door frame and filling the existing spaces with cut-offs of wood. If you have a painted frame, any gaps are easily filled and painted over. Rehanging the door itself is easy (easier if you have a helper).

I've done it but found it incredibly fiddly. A good carpenter can do it quickly (make sure he/she's got a good eye for detail, it can look awful if done badly) and personally, I was happy to pay a guy some money to do it quickly and professionally... A girl's gotta know where her limitations are Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Carpentry, Kitchens & Furniture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: