HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
Building your own deck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nellie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Building your own deck Reply with quote

How difficult is this? A friend of mine told me she built one herself as well as killing her grass, laying pebbles in her garden and planting all her own shrubs. Is it really this easy? Are there any good websites or resources on how to go about it?
Avoca

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think B and Q do a leaflet on how to lay your own deck.
danny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW - your friend sounds pretty amazing!! Perhaps you should beg nicely and she may do your garden if she has some free time this summer
e18165

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Vermont decking by Ronseal, I laid 1 about 2 years ago, first time, it's fairly straightforward especially if the ground is fairly level to begin with
Justin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Building your own deck Reply with quote

As stated in an earlier post, the modular deck systems available from most DIY and Builders Suppliers is pretty easy to lay down on level ground with solid well drained foundations.

One of the attractions of decking is its ability to add living space to sloping or raised areas (1st floor). In this case you need to do a lot more planning, and be aware of safety and loading limits.

Selecting a good wood for the planks is probably the most important factor, as a lot of the softwood based decking will get slippery when wet, even after just a couple of years wear. Go for pressure treated Douglas Fir, Cedar, or hardwoods.

There are loads of DIY Decking websites. Most lend themselves to construction from scratch, rather than the modular systems.
mags

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband has built two tiered decks in our current and previous houses. There's plenty of books available on building your own decking if you check out a good bookshop. The modular system would be easier than building from scratch. Not being any kind of an expert myself I watched my husband and I have to say most of the work he did will never be seen as it involved digging posts into concrete and building a frame under the deck. Although he goes to work in a suit he's good at d.i.y so I think you'd have to be fairly good at d.i.y to build from scratch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Garden & Outdoors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: