HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
Wool Sofa - How to Clean?????????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohjustpeachy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Wool Sofa - How to Clean????????? Reply with quote

I bought a sofa with wool covers (they have zippers to remove them)three years ago and they are seriously grubby. There are no cleaning instructions on them and the company I bought from has ceased trading. How can I clean them?
Julia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: safer bet Reply with quote

Where there are no instructions it is difficult to advise. Generally dry cleaning is the best option if there is a risk. if you want to opt for the safest route and get it done professionally there is a company who will do it for you Drisafe
http://www.homewise.ie/supplier/Dublin/DRISAFE/51559/
Removing them and taking them to a dry cleaner is also another option. if you have a good relationship with your dry cleaner them they may even be able to advise you if you can clean them yourself and what you might use. Afraid otherwise if you try to tackle it yourself the incorrect cleaning agent might destroy them. Hope this helps. Julia
ag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is either dry clean or low moisture clean. be careful with wool as it is very prone to shrinkage. We do carpet & upholstery cleaning, and wool is something that we are cautious of, and treat very carefully.
definatly dont put the cushions in the washing machine, as you will be fighting to get the covers back on your cushions and you will see a gap between where the cushions should meet.
Everyone thinks that the zippers are there to allow the cushion to be removed for cleaning, but in fact it is so that the cushion can be inserted into the cover after manufacter.
i would advise getting it done professionally. If you get a trained and reputable person, they will let you know what the best expected outcome will be. It will stand to your sofa over time.
hope this helps
lahore123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the inormation
luzagodom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To getting it done professionally by a laundry
johney

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get a professional in to do your couch the first time so they can identify the fabric. Is it cotton, nylon, wool, etc. Cotton and wool can shrink and will eventually make a mess of shampooing your couch. If you have a nylon blend and don't have a rug shampooer with an upholstery cleaner you can rent one from most stores. "Rug Doctor" is usually a good shampooer..

Thanks for sharing..

Sofasinstock.co.uk - We have a huge selection of luxurious sofas, leather sofa to choose from in a selection of gorgeous, on-trend colours.
avaviney

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really helped me a lot!
sidvermawt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my point of view You should get a professional in to do your couch the first time so they can identify the fabric. Is it cotton, nylon, wool, etc. Cotton and wool can shrink and will eventually make a mess of shampooing your couch. If you have a nylon blend and don't have a rug shampooer with an upholstery cleaner you can rent one from most stores. "Rug Doctor" is usually a good shampooer. Instructions are usually on the tank of these rental cleaners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Cleaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: