HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
Attic conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Extending, Renovating & Restoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knatch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Attic conversion Reply with quote

I am thinking of converting my attic. I have a victorian semi-d and the height of the apex of the roof is around 6 ft. It is also hipped. I have room to drop the upstairs ceiling by around 1.5ft and then hoped to put in a rear facing dormer roof.
sledgehammer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Attic Conversion Reply with quote

Kantch - sounds like you already have a plan in mind. You have plenty of space when you drop the ceilings. The project can be an expensive one as you intend to put a dormer roof in at the back. Another option might be just to put in rear rooflights (cheaper)..it all depends on what you want up there. From the size of your house I suspect you could get a good bedroom and ensuite if needed. Again, avoid the en-suite unless you really need it.
Watch out for cowboys here as attic conversions need a good finish i.e. fireproofing, stairs fitted properly. Also you will need planning permission if you go for your dormer window or end up with a roof light in the front.
Prices vary considerably. My own cost me about 6k which included stairs, roof lights, steel-re-inforced, wired and slabbed/plastered, but I did most of the work myself. A friend had something similar to you done with roof-lights only and it cost 20k. Good luck.
neil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever go ahead with that project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Extending, Renovating & Restoring All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: