HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
Fitting recessed matwell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> DIY & Home Improvements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Fitting recessed matwell Reply with quote

I need to recess a mat into an existing tiled floor - van anyone help with the following:

What is the best way to cut out the outline of the mat well and remove the tiles?
What depth should the well be?
Is there a brass trimming kit to fit around the perimeter and cover the tile edge?

Just rang the local tool hire company and the assistant asked me 'how will you get into the corners of the cut out piece with the angle grinder?' I couldn't answer this as this is an issue - I'll be able to score the tiles in the corners but not cut down through their depth and if I hit them with a chisel I'll end up cracking the rest of the tile. Any thoughts on this problem?
Karl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: recessed mat Reply with quote

To cut as much of the tile as possible, use the smallest cutting disc you can find, and cut downwards as deeply as disc will allow, making sure first that there are no pipes etc. under the floor. Also, get floor finishing brass bead in local hardware, so that you will know how much cutting overlap you can get away with on the corners. Tiles are normally no more than about 15mm thick, so if a cut two thirds of this can be achieved, a gentle tap with a chisel will do no harm anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> DIY & Home Improvements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: