HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
carpeting rooms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolynephillips

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: carpeting rooms Reply with quote

Hav just completed purchase of first home but i want to put down carpet on floors of rooms. Should i varnish the wooden floors underneath before putting down the carpet so that they would be protected better?

Thanks
Sanf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Carpeting. Reply with quote

Hiya

I'm not an expert but why would you go to the trouble of varnishing the floors then to cover them up with carpet ? Surely the underlay of the carpet would ruin the varnished floors? Our house was built in the 1960's so has original floorboards most of which have been covered with carpet for the last 30 odd years and when we took up carpet recently the boards were in perfect order. Less work for you !
creatingyourdream

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carolyne,

you've probably already done it, but just to clarify: I definitely wouldn't varnish floorboards before putting carpets down.

Varnish, even when dried for a long time, will stick to your underlay which means that next time you take it up, it will ruin the floorboards and make the underlay really hard to scrape off.

Additionally, you will increase the toxic load in your house because no matter what varnish you use, it will always fume into the atmosphere. It depends how sensitive you are, but some people react quite badly moving into a new house because of all the paint/varnish/glue etc fumes...

You must take care though to ensure that the floorboards are solid, i.e. any loose parts are screwed down into the joists, and that there are no nails, splinters, or bits sticking up. These would increase the wear and tear on the carpet in that particular area and be quite visible (depending on what sort of carpet you're laying down).

Hope this helps - if you have any queries, let me know and I'll try to help!

Regards,

Marion Hermannsen
Creating Your Dream Interior Design
www.creatingyourdream@eircom.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: