HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
Removing Ballpoint Pen stains

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inishindie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Removing Ballpoint Pen stains Reply with quote

Ballpoint inks, especially blue, consists of so many, various "ink recipes" that it is impossible to know what solvents, resins, and oils are in them. With patience and persistence, most of these inks are removable through experimenting with different solvents. Others are indelible, and your situation may be hopeless leaving permanent stains. However, the methods below will either remove or lighten these ink stains. I have tried solutions of vinegar and baking powder but they seem to be ineffective. I am sorry then that I have to resort to solvents.

Treat a thickly folded absorbent white cloth or towel with Hair Spray, dab the affected area with the cloth, and blot with a dry towel simultaneously. I don’t like this method myself, as I would be worried that the glue in the hairspray might stick the fabric together. Test on a small area first.

Treat a thickly folded absorbent white cloth or towel with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, dab the affected area with cloth, and blot with dry towel simultaneously.

Treat a thickly folded absorbent white cloth or towel with Nail Polish Remover or Acetone, dab the affected area with cloth, and blot with dry towel simultaneously

Treat a thickly folded absorbent white cloth or towel with Spirits of Turpentine, (not the substitute that you can buy) dab the affected area with cloth, and blot with dry towel simultaneously

If one solvent cleaner does not adequately solve the problem, move down to the next in the order these cleaners are given.

NEVER apply solvents directly onto surface. Put them onto the cloth first

Note:
Always test an inconspicuous area for colourfastness, etc. before treating the exposed area. Also note that certain stains are permanent.

cheers

Ian

www.inishindie.blogspot.com
davidandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaving Cream and Non-flammable dry cleaning fluid can also used to remove these stains Smile
jorjastandish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I didn't know shaving cream can be so useful.Smile
davidandy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it is, give it a try at least once Smile
alexa007

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Remove ball pen stains Reply with quote

To remove ball pen stain we can use alcohol but normally alcohol does not work properly so we can use shaving cream and Non-flammable dry cleaning fluid and hairspray.
sidvermawt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for sharing this useful post with all of us..but u know that you can try hair spray also if alcohal and shaving cream does not work. In that case hair spray is very useful for removing the stains of pen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Cleaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: