HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
Moving a garden shed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Moving a garden shed Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Would you know of a company who offer a shed moving service.
I have a 7 x 5 standard wooden shed that I need to move about 15 feet to the corner of my garden in Kinsealy,North Dublin.
Until I get it moved I can't start work on the garden and so far have had no luck in getting 8 mates to turn up at the time to help ,so I would happily pay to get it done at this stage!
Thanks a million!
Julia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: moving garden shed Reply with quote

there is a handy man who might do this for you http://www.homewise.ie/supplier/Dublin/TheHandymanCo/51771/
Ro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million Julia,

8 lads who I was at the Dublin match with on Sunday have promised to come over tomorrow night to have a go ,mind you that was after several celebratory warm beers, but hopefully brute force can get the job done. I will try The Handyman if there is no joy tomorrow night!
Ro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shed has been moved successfully!
You will need :
8 people
40 Mins
One person calling the shots!

For anyone who faces the same challenge ,the following is a step by step guide on how to move your shed with your mates.

1: You will need at least 6 ,but ideally 8 people.
2: Rather than trying to lift the shed directly to the new position,move the shed in a left to right "zig zag" direction.
Stage I:
4 People Push the shed and 4 people pull the shed off supporting blocks
Stage 2: Measure and align the existing support bricks into the new target area.Using a spirit level and a 6 foot piece of wood as a guide,ensure that blocks are level.
Stage 3: 4 People Push the shed and 4 people pull the shed back towards target area.
Stage 4:
2 people each side,lift shed onto blocks in new target area ( tight fit if one of the sides is against a wall,just go in as far as you can without getting squashed!)
Stage 5 is all about finishing touches,the hard work is now done!
Manoeuver support slats ( these are built onto the bottom corner and centre of most wooden sheds) so that they are all resting on the correct blocks.
Stage 6:
Where required,lift shed slightly to insert small pieces of wood onto blocks to correct any imbalance.This is vital to ensure that the weight of the shed is evenly distributed and level.

So my shed is finally moved,and although not 100% level,I have been advised to leave the shed "settle" for a couple of weeks as the blocks will eventually sink into the soil ( if it rains soon!) and level off...I hope!!
Sanf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No excuse for not gardening now Ro. !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Garden & Outdoors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: