HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
Central Heating Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Plumbing, Heating & Bathrooms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotbot_111

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Central Heating Problem Reply with quote

Hi all, I have an issue with my central heating system. My system has 2 zones (upstairs and downstairs) and works fine when either zone is selected on its own. The problem occurs when I set both zones "on". Upstairs heats up without any issues but the downstairs rads barely get warm.The house is 2 years old and the problem only started this week.I have an oil system and the boiler is a galvanised/outdoor warmflow system. Any help/advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
kevtheplumber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Central Heating Problem Reply with quote

hotbot_111 wrote:
Hi all, I have an issue with my central heating system. My system has 2 zones (upstairs and downstairs) and works fine when either zone is selected on its own. The problem occurs when I set both zones "on". Upstairs heats up without any issues but the downstairs rads barely get warm.The house is 2 years old and the problem only started this week.I have an oil system and the boiler is a galvanised/outdoor warmflow system. Any help/advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

hi, its a common problem, basically the system needs setting up, what is happening is when only one circuit/zone is working the pump has enough push turn the second zone on and the pump has more work to do so it runs out of steam, the system needs looking at and then setting up.
if you get a plumber make sure he know what he is doing and dont pay till you know it works properly, the reason your heating does not work correctly is because the plumber that installed the system did not spend the time setting it up, lots of plumbers do not know how to set a system up properly.
hotbot_111

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the fix, knew it had to be something simple (usually is) as boiler was igniting and circulation pump was working.Balancing valve(red wheel handle) on the return had accidently gotten knocked open. I restricted the flow of this valve thereby diverting the flow back to my rads and not the tank. Rads are roasting again and there is still loads of hot water. Just goes to show that doing a bit of research on the web can save you a packet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Plumbing, Heating & Bathrooms All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: