HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
kitchen designers in the midlands...any ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Carpentry, Kitchens & Furniture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
str1ngers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: kitchen designers in the midlands...any ideas? Reply with quote

hi folks
looking for this information a little early since we haven't even started builing yet but i was wondering if anyone knows of good kitchen designers/manufacturers in the westmeath/midlands area? we like the idea of granite worktops and belfast sinks, so if anyone has any useful tips i'd be really grateful. we also have a very nice teak kitchen table which i'd like to match the kitchen to. any idea of what type of wood to put with it? can you have a teak kitchen?? never heard of it so looking for your advice, as you can see we're totally clueless!! any help would be gratly appreciated!! Very Happy
earth_balance_interiors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi str1ngers,

I don't know of anyone around the Midlands are but I can give some advice on kitchen design. It depends on what door fronts you want whether solid wood/veneers or timber effect. Most showrooms will let you take away a drawer front or small sample to match to your table at home in your own lighting conditions.

Off the shelf door fronts come in a range of timber colours from dark walnut to light birch, including teak. The trick is finding the right effect that matches your table and is in keeping with the style and your budget.

If you are staying with a traditional kitchen, then it would be an idea to continue the teak theme in the units whether solid timber, veneers or wood effect. Alternatively you could contrast the table against a backdrop of country style buttermilk door fronts which look fantastic with dark granite worktops/ceramic sinks like Belfast.

Bear in mind that granite worktops are expensive and that typically installation is more than the worktops themselves. In my experience as a kitchen designer they can sometimes be more than 1/3 of the overall cost.

You could go middle of the road in style and look for shaker style door fronts in timber effect, high gloss or matt. Or think about contemporary flush door fronts with scoop handles or without handles - depending on the style of your table and the rest of the interior.

Find a retailer that deals with a multitude of manufacturers to get the widest choice of door fronts.

All the best.

Regards
str1ngers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. had a good idea that the granite would be dear but we've decided thatwe'd do the kitchen we wanted regardless as it'll be the room we spend most time in!! i know i could live to regret saying that ha ha. the only problem we have with the table is that it isn't made yet. it's coming from england and they make to order 12 weeks in advance of us needing it!!it's unstained teak so we're aiming for a solid teak (or other complimentary wood) wood for the unit doors. just not sure what to go for. have seen a lovely chesnut kitchen but think it may be a little dark? ah well here come the headaches!! thanks again
str1ngers
Julia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: location Reply with quote

where in the midlands are you based?
str1ngers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi julia
we're in the mullingar area, so pretty central!!
anitarushe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Midlands Kitchen Designer Reply with quote

We are also building a house in the midlands, and have recently asked for a design and quote from Edgewood Designs Ltd. Phone 0876148286. The representative came to the house and listened to all our requirements, and will be sending a 3D design. I (obviously) haven't gotten past this stage, but so far he has been courteous, timely, has listened well, and made some valid suggestions. Good Luck!!

Note: I have granite in my current kitchen and it's absolutely brilliant. WELL WORTH the money. It takes every bit of abuse my husband and 4 kids can throw at it, and still looks perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Carpentry, Kitchens & Furniture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: