HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
fireplace in a corner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Plumbing, Heating & Bathrooms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shonie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: fireplace in a corner? Reply with quote

My architect has drawn my fireplace to be placed in the corner of the room. Initially was I was happy with it but now that it's coming closer to starting the blockwork I'm a bit unsure about how it'll look and bend in with room. It's in the far right corner when one walks in the lounge door.

Anyway, just throwing the idea out there for peoples opinion.

Thanks
Fiona.
str1ngers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi shonie
i know you posted ages ago but am only new to site.
we've just got planning permission and our fire place is in the corner too. was wondering if you went ahead with it or changed it? if you kept it how are you finding it? would love to hear your views
thanks
shonie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: fireplace Reply with quote

I actually changed it to the middle of the room in the end. I was unsure about how it would look as the room is rectangular so everyone convinced me that it would look better in the middle. However, now that the blockwork is complete I still think it would have been okay in the corner and of course one has the issue of the chimeny. As a result the chimney is located in the middle of my bedroom upstairs.
earth_balance_interiors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fireplace position Reply with quote

Hi there,
I'm an interior designer, it would depend on whether it is purely decorative - as in a feature or functional. If it is a feature then consider that it may become the focal point of the room. And if it is functional, then consider that to make best use of heat, any seating would need to be near to the corner. In some situations this position works effectively, and in some it doesn't work as effectively. Again it all depends on the rest of the structure & interior elements, space layout, how they relate to each other and what you gain or lose from each. Best of luck with your project.
Regards
Nicola
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Plumbing, Heating & Bathrooms All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: