HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
paint peeling off kitchen units

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Carpentry, Kitchens & Furniture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: paint peeling off kitchen units Reply with quote

Hi, I got a new kitchen built last year - December 06. But over the last few months I notice that the paint (which i believe was sprayed on) has started to peel and/or chip in places. Needless to say I am not too happy but when I contacted the installer - he just sais this was normal wear and tear. One door is particularly bad - although it was adjacent to the kettle so the steam may be a factor here - so he offered to take it away and have it repainted. Alternatively, he said he could give us some paint and we could touch it yup ourselves.

Also the drawers beside the cooker have started ceome stained by the heat. The cooker is insulated on both sides apparently so it would appear that the problem is again with the paint used.

I would love to know what members think? Is this the downside to painted units or should we take the matter further and if so what would members recommend?
earth_balance_interiors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello emb,

I worked as a kitchen designer and believe that normal wear and tear like this should not occur after just one year. It really depends what the door/drawer fronts are made from originally, and what paint was used on the surface. Was it an off the shelf kitchen? Are the drawers adjacent to the heat source? Is it just the drawer edge that has become discoloured?

Lots of questions!
emb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: kitchen units Reply with quote

Hi Earth,

Thanks for your reply. We bought the kitchen from a Kitchen Fitter in Limerick City. He has a workshop and we went to see some of his peices and chose the type of kitchen units we wanted. It is a small kitchjen but with a teak counter it cost over 6.5k. He had certs on wall stating he is a member of a craftsmand guild - dunno if means anything. He made and installed units himself. He had the units painted from an external source. I wanted painted wooden units and apparently the units are made of wood. The drawers close to the oven have a large area of discolouration.

What should I say to this guy? What should I ask him and what should I look for? Thanks a mil for your help.
earth_balance_interiors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello emb,

If the kitchen fittter designed, manufactured and fitted the whole kitchen (even if they outsourced some of the work) - then ultimately it is their responsibility if any part becomes defect outside of what is classed as 'normal wear and tear'. Without having seen your kitchen and just based on your description of the damage, I would not class this as normal wear and tear so soon after manufacture and installation. I would urge you to contact them again, take photographs of the damage and send in a written complaint to the company. If you do not have any success then speak to www.consumerconnect.ie for advice on your consumer rights. Speak to www.citizensinformation.ie for advice on dealing with trades and professions involved in home building or home improvements.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Carpentry, Kitchens & Furniture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: