HomeWise.ie
Ireland's first online home improvements directory
Underfloor or Conventional Heating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Plumbing, Heating & Bathrooms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Underfloor or Conventional Heating Reply with quote

Which to opt for? A combination of both maybe? new house build so now is the time to install the underfloor but is it worth it?

House is to be a bungalow with converter attic which is going to be well insulated as it is.

Thanks
fox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm in pretty much the same situation as you - just getting foundations laid for my dormer bungalow and all these questions to be answered!

Check out this web address : www.underfloorheating.ie/heatingmats.shtml

Instead of installing under floor heating everywhere, these are mats that can be installed say in just the bathroom or wherever you want. I'm only just after requesting some more info off their website so will let you know what i decide.

Good Luck
creatingyourdream

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

there are pros and cons for underfloor heating.

Pros: there are no ugly radiators. Also, the heat rises from the ground which is far more efficient than conventional radiators where the heat rises first to the ceiling and then comes down again to heat the room. If you have stone floors in the house, there is nothing nicer than underfloor heating when walking barefoot (like in the bath room).

Cons: It takes a while for the room to heat up so you can't just come home and turn the heat on for a quick blast to heat up a room. However, most modern systems will allow remote access so that you can use your mobile phone for example to call ahead to turn on the heat. That's what we've gone for and boy, is it great to come back from holidays and having a warm house waiting for us!

Hope this helps!
mossy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
In been in my house for the last five years and had underfloor installed in the ground floor. I find it very good, it takes about too hours for results but after that the comfort is more than you get from radiators.
A lot better in that it doesn't create air currents that rise dust great for any of the family that have asthma, also every part of the house is aired including presses, beds and draws, the heat rises from your feet so the comfort is very even where radiators create the heat from your head down which can be uncomfortable also the heat is not uniform. You wont find any damp area in the house with underfloor. Also with radiators when they are switched of the heat disappeared soon after not with underfloor, this heat can last for 24 hours.
The only drawback I find is when the weather changes suddenly from cold to mild which can happen with the Irish climate the heat can be too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HomeWise.ie Forum Index -> Plumbing, Heating & Bathrooms All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: